Morning Classes: Harry Potter Fan Fare, Ekphrasis: Where Art and Writing Collide
Afternoon Classes: Magic Tree House Merlin Adventure Club, Meet the Magic Dragon, Unforgettable Poems
All Day Classes: Theatre of the Oppressed, Imagemaker & Storyteller
- Sorting yourself poems
- Painting wands
- Wand lore study
- Wand writing
- Quick Quills
- Bring your broom tomorrow!
Ekphrasis -We’re small, but powerful! Today we had three rounds of responses to “pop art” — Pop-eye with a bit of crossword puzzle, still life with a lemon outside of the crystal bowl (ball?), Marilyn as a paper doll with instructions where to put in eyebrows and other facial features… you just never know how image will trigger language! Already we’re gathering steam, putting words to image, playing with sound, making textures with accumulations of consonants, waves of vowels, and making circle poems like Apollinaire looking at himself in the mirror with a sentence that comes about like a serpent eating its tail.
Come enjoy a sampling of this creativity on Friday, July 27, 11:30 in the air-conditioned airy when Kezia, Rayzel and Aaron share their vibrant visions in words!
Magic Tree House Merlin Adventure Club
- Learned about Ireland
- Reader’s theatre play
- Wrote limerick/ acrostic poems
Meet the Magic Dragon
- “2 Truths and a Lie” game
- Group Poem
- Self poems!
- “Magic Dragon” discussion
- Collage Project
- Homework: Bring Permission Slips!
- Read some famous poems and discussed elements of poetry
- Read a series of list poems, identified strong images
- Created list poems from things in our rooms, junk drawers, cars, etc.
- Students encouraged to revise an old poem and bring five copies tomorrow
Full Day Classes:
Theatre of the Oppressed
- Weekly Schedule
- Explore topics/themes
Imagemaker & Storyteller
- Learned photographic composition
- “Capture the Local Environmental” film
- Went to arts archive
- Made individual silouette- collages